Sunday, February 1, 2009

Getting Ready

As the economic recession gets deeper, I find myself saving and hoarding. I have become addicted to Publix "penny sale" every Sunday. It becomes my BDO (big day out). I wait with anticipation each week to see what the mystery coupon will bring. Today it was Publix brand coffee. Not bad at a savings of about $3.50 and I drink a lot of coffee while pouring over the days latest economic bad news.
I also find I am making sure things in my fridge get used up and not tossed. For example, on Friday I had half a green pepper that needed to get used and a couple of chicken breasts that needed to be rotated out of the freezer. I stir-fried the green pepper with onion and some red curry, tossed in the chicken cut in chunks and added some coconut milk, and little bit of fish sauce (soy would work, too) and had a nice chicken red curry. I also had some portobellow mushrooms that needed to be used so I sauteed them with some onion in olive oil, threw in a cup of brown rice and added two cups of chicken broth. Once it was boiling, I transferred it to a casserole dish and threw it in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes at 350 degrees and got a nice brown rice dish which is a favorite at our house (courtesy of Joy of Cooking). So, not only did I make sure I used up some of the vegetables in our crisper but I also got a healthy, high fiber meal that I could sneak under my husbands nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment