Thursday, February 19, 2009

Armaggedon is over

After 9/11, we followed some crazy government advice and stockpiled some food, water and other supplies. We never went so far as to get a gas mask, bolts of plastic wrap and duct tape but we did think about having at least a few days supply in case of stormy weather which is quite common in Atlanta. Slowly, we used up our supplies and I thought all was gone until my husband brought up some cans of corned beef hash last week.
Well, with the current economy, I thought I would cook some corned beef hash patties for dinner. The last time I ate corned beef patties was about 30 years ago early in our marriage when true famine loomed at the end of every month as we awaited my husband's pay check. It was not unknown at the time for us to search in the couch cushions to find enough change to put gas in the car. (Of course this was before $2 gallon gas when 10 cents could go a long way.) So tonight I went to open one of the cans and read "Best used by Oct. 2007". It being Feb. 2009, it made me pause.
When Jeff called to say he was on his way home, I said, "Before you go I have one question. Should we eat the hash if it is out of date?" His response? "That stuff, like Spam, is made to last forever. However, I don't feel Armaggedon is looming so toss it and cook something else."
So tonight we had chicken cordon bleu, a glass of cheap shiraz and toasted the end of Armaggedon....at least for this week. After all, I did note that stocks had dropped again today and my 401K has bottomed out. It makes the Publix sale on canned soup enticing for stocking up . With these new-fangled pop-tops on soup, it makes for easy opening when awaiting the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment