Monday, February 2, 2009

Birdwatching: Inexpensive (mostly) entertainment


One of my hobby's is birdwatching which is relatively inexpense compared to the hours of enjoyment daily. I started with one nice feeder that I bought for my husband - the squirrel flinger. I actually bought it because we thought it would be amusing to watch squirrels fly. However, the squirrels are a bit smarter than that, though they do try and get to the food.


Now we have several feeder stations in the yard and I have put bird baths outside my kitchen window. We get tons of birds throughout the year. Right now, we have our year round buddies, the chickadees, wood peckers, tufted titmice, house finches, cardinals, blue jays and Carolina wrens but our seasonal visitors this month are goldfinches and pine siskens. They particularly like the nuts and berry bird seed and we are going through several 10 lb. sacks a week.


My most unusual visitors this year were the flock of turkeys that ranged in my back yard over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment