Sunday, January 3, 2010

Roast Chicken, Julie Style

So Alli, my sous chef, and I decided to tackle another recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Because Publix had whole chickens on sale for 69 cents a lb it was a no brainer that we would try and roast a whole chicken. I've done this by my own recipe which involves tossing the chicken in the oven until done. This time, we took the extra time to make it Julia's way which involved basting and rotating in a lot of butter making sure it was browned and juicy. We turned the drippings into a reduction of butter and chicken juice for a gravy. Finally, we threw together her risotta - more of an oven pilaf - which included mushrooms, onions, peas and herbs. We used fresh sage as the herb. Julia's recipes are always layered flavors which are distinctly different than my usual way of cooking. Some day I'll have a camera so I can show the results.

1 comment:

  1. So how did the roasted chicken turn out?

    ReplyDelete