Sunday, October 18, 2009

A cold day in Atlanta

It's been a while since I posted because the weather keeps me outside but today we are having a cold snap.
While I am not so worried about being on the brink of disaster, I still think we are in for a long recovery and still possibly a depression. So we continue to cost cut and save. Our biggest thrill continues to be the penny coupon at Publix but I have added a new one as well. We have been clipping coupons for a while and I match them to the grocery sales. Today we got a jar of brand name peanut butter for less than 50 cents. And I got a box of frozen crab cakes and a box of fried shrimp for $5 by using a Buy One Get One Free sale and two $1 off vendor coupons. Not on sale, this would have been a $15 dollar purchase.
Today's recipe is: Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas (adapted from Nooshi's food blog)
Two chicken breasts cooked and shredded.
Pace Salsa Verde (delicious)
Wheat Tortillas
Shredded cheese (I used a cheddar jack combo)
Fresh Tomatoes
Fresh Cilantro
Green Onions
I poached the chicken breasts in broth, let them cool and then shredded with a fork. Put a couple tablespoons of salsa verde in the bottom of a glass square baking pan. Fill each tortilla with a heap of chicken, some diced cilantro, diced fresh tomato, shredded cheese and roll up. Place seam side down. Pour remaining salsa evenly over the enchiladas.
Bake at 350 (covered with foil) for 30 minutes. I like to cook it covered to keep things from drying out. Remove foil and top with a row of shredded cheese down the middle. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted or bubbly. Remove from oven. Top with chopped tomato, cilantro and green onion.
An alternate ingredient could be to add sour cream as a filling ingredient but Jeff doesn't like sour cream cooked. We serve it on the side.
I served with yellow rice, black beans and quacamole.
Thanks Nooshi! www.nooshi.com


No comments:

Post a Comment